Saturday, October 9, 2010

Texas, Our Texas



Shortly before we decided to sell our house and build a new one on the property we had owned for 20 years I joined a BOM for a lovely quilt called Luv 'n Texas.
That was a little over two years ago and I am still working on the quilt. I have good excuses - we sold our house, started construction on the new house, moved into a rent house for eight months during construction, moved again to the new house, married off a son. But all along I have taken a few stitches here and there. The quilt is a sampler quilt of hand embroidered blocks each depicting an iconic image of Texas combined with pieced blocks. This quilt was designed by Jan Holder and Joan Orear.


I have never been much on handwork but I really love this quilt so I work on it when I get the chance. I didn't like the way the first two blocks turned out so I have started over on them. Here is a sample of one of my completed blocks.

My favorite quilt shop , Common Threads Quilting , hosted the BOM. Their sample showed the embroidered blocks colored in with crayons. Since this quilt is intended as a wall-hanging that is fine with me (cuts down on that hand work ;-). The BOM is over with at Common Threads but is still available at other stores. Click the Luv 'n Texas link above for other stores offering this quilt.






I will be working on this tomorrow during the Texas Rangers playoff game and the Dallas Cowboy game. Now how much more Texan can you get than that?!?

No comments: